Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Closing in on year 1.

It's hard to believe that my first year at WashU is just about over.
And that my prelim is in 9 days. I'm trying very hard not to freak out, but my lack of sleep and lack of appetite seem to be thwarting my efforts. I go through waves of knowing that I know everything I really need to know and then dive into a deep well of not knowing what I'm doing here or how I'll ever 'get' everything in time.

This year in a list:

What I've accomplished:
- Molecular Cell Biology --> pass!
- Nucleic Acids and Protein Synthesis --> pass!
- Genomics --> pass!
- Advanced Genetics --> still waiting...
- Journal Club --> pass! (and I had to read and speak German and French in the process)
- submitted an NSF Graduate Research Fellowship (though I didn't get it)
- wrote and submitted a 20 page postdoc grant proposal for a class (no comments back yet)
- two rotation talks in front of my peers and my department head
- accepted into the Lucille Markey Pathway for Human Pathobiology
- completed four rotations
- lost 15 pounds
- started (and had very moderate success with) an indoor garden
- have the Advanced Genetics TAship for the spring
- co-authored two papers under revision

other stuff done:
- brought Patty-cat home with me
- saw some of the sights in St. Louis
- learned perl
- spun up most of the fiber left from the Maine Fiber frolic
- knit a WHOLE hat
- started in on some 'seminar mittens'
- met with potential PIs to sort out what thesis lab to join
- made some good friends along the way

stuff left to do:
- pass the MGG Prelim in 9 days! (yeek!!!)
- go to NC for a few days and Maine for a week
- pick a thesis lab

next up:
- re-instituting Too Cute Tuesday St. Louis (see www.toocutetuesday.com)
- getting back to spinning (and tackle my fleece)
- seeing more of the sights in St. Louis
- get back hiking and outdoorsing more
- pass the second half of the MGG Qualifying exam in September

No comments:

Post a Comment